publication date: Jan. 22, 2021
To access this members-only content, please log in.
Institutional subscribers, please log in with your IP
If you're not a subscriber why not join today?
To gain access to the members only content click here
You will be given immediate access to premium content on the site.Click here to join.
Now that Joseph R. Biden Jr. is inaugurated and safely ensconced in the White House, cancer groups expect him to pick up where he left off as vice president four years ago—pursuing a sober and ambitious agenda for accelerating progress in cancer research.
The Cancer Letter asked Bertagnolli, Goodman, Knudsen, Manocherian, Retzlaff, Sigal, and Hohman about their expectations of the Biden administration:
On Jan. 20, as required, Ned Sharpless submitted his resignation letter to the outgoing administration. Other Trump appointees did the same.
Walter J. (Wally) Curran, Jr., has stepped down from his positions as NRG Oncology presiding group chair and as one of the three principal investigators of the NRG Oncology.
Albert de la Chapelle, a Distinguished University Professor at The Ohio State University and a giant in the field of genetics, died Dec.10, 2020, after a short bout of pneumonia while visiting his home in Finland.
- Adekunle Odunsi named director of UChicago Medicine Comprehensive Cancer Center
- Joel Helmke named chief operating officer of Fox Chase Cancer Center
- Manmeet Ahluwalia named deputy director at Miami Cancer Institute
- Rachel Greenup named chief of breast surgical oncology at Yale
- George, Levine, Dai, Griffiths named to clinical research positions at Roswell Park
- AACR and MPM Oncology Charitable Foundation award three $400,000 cancer research grants
- ACCC’s Cancer Buzz Podcast receives award for best healthcare podcast
Stand Up To Cancer has announced $3.25 million in grants from four nonprofits to fund research to find new treatments for head and neck cancers.
- Cancer-related suicide declined in the U.S. during the past two decades
- Pre-surgery chemotherapy is possible for early stage pancreatic cancer patients
- Study defines small-cell lung cancer subtypes and distinct therapeutic vulnerabilities
- GCI study of gynecologic cancers in Brazil finds most patients present with advanced disease
- Enhertu receives FDA approval for HER2-positive gastric adenocarcinomas
- Darzalex Faspro receives accelerated approval from FDA for newly diagnosed light chain amyloidosis
- FDA grants Priority Review to Opdivo as adjuvant therapy resected esophageal or gastroesophageal junction cancer
- FDA grants Priority Review to Opdivo + chemotherapy as first-line treatment in metastatic gastric cancer, GEJC and EAC
- FDA updates vinca alkaloid labeling for preparation in intravenous infusion bags only