publication date: Oct. 26, 2018
To access this members-only content, please log in.
Institutional subscribers, please log in with your IP
If you're not a subscriber why not join today?
To gain access to the members only content click here
You will be given immediate access to premium content on the site.Click here to join.
Tecentriq, Genentech’s PD-L1 checkpoint inhibitor, is the first immunotherapy agent to report positive outcomes in breast cancer in a phase III trial—providing proof of principle that these drugs are active in treatment of triple-negative breast cancer.
In talking to patients, I think it’s difficult to ignore the possibility of a 10-month improvement in overall survival in patients with PD-L1 positive tumors. If this result is confirmed with longer follow-up and seen in future studies, it would certainly be a major step forward in the treatment of TNBC.
Obviously, the field of immune-oncology has been one of the great success stories in our field over the last five years, based on our molecular understanding of the mechanisms of immune tolerance (or checkpoints) and how to disrupt that. Not only has ASCO declared Checkpoint Inhibition (as well as cellular-based immunotherapy) the “Advance of the Year,” the Nobel Committee awarded this year’s Prize to Drs. Allison and Honjo for their fabulous observations that led to these great breakthroughs.
The Trump administration earlier this week said it intends to start the rulemaking process aimed at aligning Medicare payments for drugs with prices paid outside the US.
- Ken Cowan to step down as director of Nebraska’s Fred & Pamela Buffett Cancer Center
- Otis Brawley, Patricia Ganz, James Wade receive ACCC awards
- Taylor Ripley to join Baylor College of Medicine
- Alastair Thompson to lead breast surgical oncology at BCM
- Rutgers’s Richard Drachtman receives Melvyn H. Motolinsky Award
- Mount Sinai mammography van intended to break down disparities in screening
- Keytruda improved OS as monotherapy and in combination with chemo in first-line recurrent or metastatic head and neck cancer
- Keytruda shows nearly 40% CR in high-risk non-muscle invasive bladder cancer unresponsive to standard of care
- Loxo Oncology announces larotrectinib clinical update in patients with TRK Fusion cancers
- Pfizer provides update on PALOMA-3 trial of IBRANCE in HR+, HER2- metastatic breast cancer
- Data monitoring committee recommends continuation of SGX301 trial in cutaneous T-cell lymphoma
- Data on Merck’s investigational STING agonist presented at ESMO 2018
- Zoledronic acid improves DFS in premenopausal HR+ early breast cancer
- SOLO-1 phase III trial demonstrates Lynparza maintenance therapy cut the risk of disease progression or death by 70% in advanced BRCA-mutated ovarian cancer
- Study shows surgery, radiation extend survival of patients with limited metastatic lung cancer
- Lonsurf meets OS and PFS endpoints in phase III trial
- AVEO Oncology, EUSA Pharma announce updated interim results from phase II portion of the TiNivo study in renal cell carcinoma
- Celsion announces PFS data from GEN-1 phase I immuno-oncology study in stage III/IV ovarian cancer
- Study: Racial disparity in colorectal cancer incidence not due to biology
- Marker found for condition that causes skin tumors
- FDA accepts sNDA for Lonsurf for metastatic gastric/gastroesophageal junction adenocarcinoma; grants Priority Review
- BMS provides update on regulatory review of Opdivo + Yervoy in first-line lung cancer
- Zai Lab announces approval of Zejula in relapsed ovarian cancer in Hong Kong
- NCCN awarded $2M to study Taiho’s Trifluridine and Tipiracil in various cancers