publication date: Dec. 4, 2015
The job interview wouldn’t last more than 15 minutes, Richard Pazdur believed.
So, on a June morning in 1999, his wife Mary settled down to wait at a restaurant near the FDA buildings alongside Rockville Pike.
The restaurant turned out to be Hooters, and Mary ended up spending three hours at the joint known for all-you-can-eat chicken wings served by scantily clad waitresses known as Hooters Girls.
“How much Hooters coffee can you drink?” Mary said frequently, retelling the story of her introduction to FDA, Washington and cancer politics.
| ||Rick’s Search for Meaning|
On Nov. 17, Richard Pazdur, director at the FDA Office of Hematology and Oncology Products, spoke about the role that has been thrust upon him: that of a “regulator/advocate.”
“What we’re seeing now is not a patient voice but a patient cry—wanting to have their position heard,” said Pazdur, speaking at a Washington conference sponsored by Friends of Cancer Research.
|NCI Director’s Report |
Lowy: Higher RPG Success Rates in 2015;
Continuing Resolutions Will Slow Progress
NCI awarded about 635 R01s in 2015, up from 629 in 2014, said NCI Acting Director Doug Lowy at a recent joint meeting of the National Cancer Advisory Board and the NCI Board of Scientific Advisors.
The number of R01 awards fell short of pre-sequestration levels, but there has been a substantial increase in R21 applications—from 225 in 2012 to about 355 in 2015.
Debbie’s Dream Foundation Offering $200,000 in Grants
Debbie’s Dream Foundation: Curing Stomach Cancer launched two research grants totaling $200,000 for the 2015-2016 grant cycle. A Career Development Award for $150,000 and a Young Fellowship Grant for $50,000 are being offered.
- Jennifer Nam Choi named chief of oncodermatology at Northwestern Memorial
- Robert Hauser named vice president of clinical analytics at Cancer Treatment Centers of America
- Mia Levy to be director of health information and strategy at Vanderbilt-Ingram Cancer Center
- City of Hope announces three personnel changes
- David Flockhart, board member of the Personalized Medicine Coalition, died Nov. 26
- Fox Chase-Temple Health form collaboration with Accutest Research Labs in India
- Manipal Hospitals to use IBM Watson technology
- ASTRO publishes template for long-term survivor plans
- West Cancer Center opens its East Campus
- National Health Care Anti-Fraud Association names it’s 2015 Investigation of the Year
|Drugs and Targets|
- FDA approves Opdivo in renal cell carcinoma
- European Commission grants marketing authorization for Kyprolis in multiple myeloma
- EMA accepts anamorelin application for review
- MD Anderson and Boehringer Ingleheim announce collaboration
- Morphotek and Targeted Alpha Therapy Group to collaborate in ovarian cancer
- Roche and Upsher-Smith Laboratories to develop VAP-1 inhibitor
- Caris Life Sciences and Syapse to collaborate on genomic information