What’s the NCI director’s professional judgment of opportunities in cancer research at a time of shrinking budgets, sequestration and conclusion of the windfall of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act?
Under ordinary circumstances, this question wouldn’t have required a mind reader. The NCI director has an authority no other government executive enjoys: every year, he submits a summary of scientific opportunities directly to the White House, bypassing review by the NIH director and officials at the place ominously called “Downtown,” the brutalist-style HHS headquarters at the base of Capitol Hill.
Andrew Vickers on PSA Skepticism, Rational and Irrational
I consider myself a prostate cancer screening skeptic. For example, in the title of the grand rounds lecture I have given for many years, I describe PSA as a “public health fiasco.”
I have also gone on the record to state: “PSA testing as it is commonly practiced in the U.S. is indefensible.”
|UT Board Announces Support for MD Anderson Tenure System|
The University of Texas System Board of Regents has—in response to the threat of censure by an external group—voted to continue support of MD Anderson Cancer Center’s seven-year term tenure system.
|Study: Drug Discounts Used For Wealthier Patients In Many 340B-Enrolled Hospitals|
Hospitals that qualified for the 340B drug pricing program in 2004 or later were more likely to serve wealthier communities with higher rates of health insurance coverage, according to a study published Oct. 6 in the journal Health Affairs.
The primary purpose of the 340B program—established by Congress in 1992—was to provide significantly discounted outpatient drugs to low-income and uninsured patients.
- ESMO Names Annual Award Winners
- Phoenix Children’s Hospital launches The Chan Soon-Shiong Children’s Precision Medicine Institute
- C. Parker Gibbs Jr. appointed deputy director of medical affairs for the University of Florida Health Cancer Center.
- MD Anderson Cancer Center’s Sheikh Khalifa Bin Zayed Al Nahyan Institute for Personalized Cancer Therapy launches fellowship program
- Ohio State University completes five-year pharmaceuticals center project
- MD Anderson and VolitionRx Limited announce collaboration
- Andrew Brenner receives $1.62 million grant from FDA
|Drugs and Targets|
- Akynzeo approved for chemotherapy-related nausea
- DNX-2401 granted orphan drug designation
- Caris Life Sciences launches pilot program through the U.K. National Health Service
- Mayo Clinic partners with Second Genome Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb and MD Anderson collaborate on immunotherapies
- PhRMA Report details nearly 800 cancer therapies currently in development