CPRIT’s review process appeared to have become a major annoyance to those who wanted to redraft the criteria for dispensing the princely sum of $300 million a year. Texas geography and Texas politics did matter—a lot.
The cross-state competition between MD Anderson Cancer Center and UT Southwestern Medical Center proved to be especially important.
MD Anderson has long been a clinical powerhouse, the kind of place you go with a complicated cancer. If it ramped up its basic science, the cancer center would be better positioned to understand the origins of cancer and make more fundamental contributions to treatment of cancers, including discovering useful drug candidates and moving them from the bench to the clinic.
| ||White House Promises $1 Billion for Cancer MoonshotThe White House announced a $1 billion initiative Feb. 1 to jumpstart the national cancer moonshot program—an ambitious proposal first announced by President Barack Obama during his final State of the Union address.|
Vice President Joe Biden, whose son Beau died of brain cancer in May 2015 at age 46, is leading the program, which aims to achieve a decade’s worth of progress within the next five years.
|FDA Releases New Opioid Plan as Senators Stall Robert Califf’s Confirmation as Commissioner|
Robert Califf, the nominee to serve as the next FDA commissioner, and other FDA leaders called for a broad plan to reassess the agency’s approach to prescription opioid medications. The move comes as Senators block a vote on his confirmation for the top post.
Sen. Edward Markey (D-Mass.) and Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Bernie Sanders of Vermont have both placed procedural holds on Califf’s confirmation, citing the agency’s policies and methods for approving opioids, as well as Califf’s financial ties to the pharmaceutical industry.
- Lonial named head of hematology and oncology at Winship Cancer Institute
- Stand Up To Cancer Canada announces brain cancer dream team
- Keith Hanson McGregor named CEO of ESMO
- M. Beatriz Currier joins Miami Cancer Institute
- H. Benjamin Harvey and Courtney Moreno receive ACR fellowship
- Van Andel Research Institute-SU2C Dream Team trial enters phase II
|Drugs and Targets|
- Venetoclax receives third FDA breakthrough designation
- FDA tells Telesta they need another phase III MCNA trial
- Mayo Clinic collaborates with Morphotek in triple-negative breast cancer study.