publication date: Sep. 25, 2020
To access this members-only content, please log in.
Institutional subscribers, please log in with your IP
If you're not a subscriber why not join today?
To gain access to the members only content click here
You will be given immediate access to premium content on the site.Click here to join.
Earlier this year, as doctors observed that patients afflicted with the novel coronavirus were dying from a cytokine release syndrome, some suggested focusing on suppressing production of interleukin-6 to control this immune response gone haywire (The Cancer Letter, March 24, 2020).
A collaboration of 10 healthcare research organizations has demonstrated that real-world endpoints can be used to describe patient outcomes that are analogous to results generated through conventional endpoints in clinical trials.
Vincent P. Vinciguerra, the principal investigator of the Northwell Health NCI Community Oncology Research Program, won the 2020 Harry Hynes Award.
This year’s Cancer Progress Report from the American Association for Cancer Research provides a chilling overview of the impact COVID-19 has had on cancer.
- $111 million NIH grant awarded to prevent and treat HIV-associated cancers
- James Bachman named chief administrative officer of Sidney Kimmel Comprehensive Cancer Center at Johns Hopkins
- Mark Hurwitz, Valerie Csik named to new leadership rolls on quality and safety at Jefferson
- Tess Cummings named clinical protocol office director at UNC Lineberger
- Mount Sinai Tisch Cancer Institute earns second consecutive NCI designation
- Case Comprehensive Cancer Center receives $10.4 million NCI grant for glioblastoma research
- New York Proton Center opens proton therapy training program
- Moffitt Cancer Center study educates oncologists on LGBTQ+ health concerns
Thermo Fisher Scientific has introduced the Oncomine Clinical Research Grant Program to support clinical research projects in oncology and reproductive health.
- Study: Black women with breast cancer experience delayed, longer treatment than whites
- Fred Hutch-led clinical trial shows new smartphone app helps smokers quit
- Study: Keytruda reduced the risk of distant metastasis or death versus placebo as adjuvant treatment in melanoma indication
- Keytruda + chemotherapy demonstrated superior OS/PFS versus chemotherapy in GEJ cancer indication
- Phase III CheckMate -9ER trial: Opdivo + Cabometyx demonstrates significant survival benefits in advanced RCC
- Opdivo demonstrated superior DFS in resected esophageal or gastroesophageal junction cancer compared to placebo
- Opdivo + chemotherapy demonstrated significant OS, PFS benefits versus chemotherapy in gastric and esophageal cancers
- Lynparza improved median PFS in BRCA-mutated advanced ovarian cancer
- Verzenio significantly reduces risk of cancer recurrence in HR+, HER2- high risk early breast cancer
- Padcev significantly improved OS in phase III study of urothelial cancer
- Expanded access eRequest app allows physicians to submit EA requests online
- FDA accepts for priority review application for anti-BCMA CAR T-cell therapy idecabtagene vicleucel (Ide-cel, bb2121)
- Agenus begins rolling BLA submission of balstilimab to FDA for treatment of recurrent/metastatic cervical cancer
- FDA accepts sNDA for Xalkori for pediatric ALK-positive anaplastic large cell lymphoma
- EMA’s CHMP issues positive opinion for Zejula in ovarian cancer indication